It feels like summer has barely begun, but at Lighthouse, we are busy getting Fall preparations underway.
Here is an important announcement about Group Connect and the Gather to Scatter curriculum that all Home Groups are being asked to go through this Fall.
If you have any questions, please email Sarah or Ryan.
Last week RZIM’s Abdu Murray (author of Grand Central Question) released a new book called Saving Truth: Finding Meaning & Clarity in a Post-Truth World. If you’re like me and often wonder how our society got to the point of teaching students about gender fluidity, among other hot topics, and how to stand firm in the truth of your faith while expressing compassion, this book is for you.
I warn you, this is not a light, easy read; but the message is profound. The seduction of a post-truth mindset in the areas of gender, human dignity, science, freedom and religion are laid out with explanations about how freedom of choice has been confused with autonomy. As I read through the book, I was moved by these five quotes:
- Now is the time for compassionate, yet uncompromisingly expressed, truth.
- If Christians are to meaningfully contribute to the cultural conversation through social media, they must do so with integrity.
- We confuse engaging in argument with quarreling. We confuse disagreeing with someone’s beliefs with disrespecting the person. In fact, we’ve confused the difference between people and ideas altogether…
- Our preferences have not given us the sure footing of clarity’s dry land, only the wobbly buoyancy of confusion’s river.
- A post-truth culture that elevates feelings over facts gives us only half the picture. And in being half-right, it’s all wrong.
If you’d like to read the first chapter of the book for free, visit www.AbduMurray.com. For home groups that might consider going through this book together, there are bonus deals available right now including free study guides and online access to the teaching videos when purchasing single or multiple copies of the book. Visit www.AbduMurray.com for more information.
Book Review by Sarah Biggerstaff
This weekend we’re starting a new sermon series on 2 Timothy. Sermon discussion questions for the first three messages of this series are available in a printable PDF file that you can download by clicking here.
The fourth weekend of February is a Milestone Weekend, and please save the date for Monday, February 26th to attend the Annual Meeting where members will have the opportunity to vote to affirm Pastor Brandon Sales as Senior Pastor. To read more about the pastoral transition at Lighthouse, visit www.lighthousehome.org/transition.
Also, if you haven’t done so already, please RSVP to attend the group leader gathering called “Standing Firm” on Saturday, March 10th. Pastor Ryan will share about himself as well as a message on Spiritual Warfare. RSVP by clicking here.
Welcome Back to home group season! As you kick-off the new year I want to make sure that you have everything you need to get started.
- Sermon discussion questions for September are available here, and in the documents section of this blog.
- At times, the weekend messages aren’t part of a series and sermon discussion questions aren’t provided (such as Milestone Weekends and special topic). During those weeks, we suggest going through the Spiritual Self Assessment or another faith exercise together. Email me for handouts if you’re interested.
- If you need suggestions for studies to go through or access to RightNow Media, please let me know.
- If there is a conflict or other issue needing pastoral attention that arises in your home group, please contact me and I will arrange for a pastor to meet with you.
Lastly, if you attended Group Connect and have people to follow up with, please do that as soon as possible. Many of the attendees were very excited and eager to get started.
Thank you Group Leaders for all that you do!
Did you know that as a Home Group Leader, you have free access to RightNow Media? If you are still trying to decide what your home group should study this Fall, RightNow Media gives you instant access to thousands of Bible study videos, such as:
Chip Ingram’s latest study, The Book of Titus. In this study, Ingram challenges us to display the gospel in our lives through doing good. We do good works not to earn God’s favor, but as a result of God’s favor. When the gospel has truly taken root in our lives, it produces the fruit of godliness. As we pass these things on to future generations, the Church stands in bright contrast to the darkness of the world.
Other new releases on RightNow Media include The Good Book by Deron Spoo and Kyle Idleman, Keeping Place: Reflections on the Meaning of Home by Jen Pollock Michel, and so many more. Check out the selection at www.rightnowmedia.org.
If you don’t have an account set up for RightNow Media, click on http://lighthousehome.org/about/resources/right-now-media.html to get one set up.