Have you thought about doing a service project with you home group this year? For more than 10 years Lighthouse has partnered with the non-profit organization Step By Step to host a Christmas Dinner for young women and children in need. This event includes games, activities, crafts, and an incredible Christmas dinner. For many of those attending, it is the only Christmas dinner they will have.
Step By Step has specifically asked if home groups could put together gift baskets that can be raffled off to the women who attend the event (just like dinner, this is the only gift they will receive). If each home group puts together one basket we would collect 30 baskets. You’d just need each person in your home group to contribute one or two items to the basket and they could be exceptional! Here are some ideas (but feel free to get creative!):
- S’mores Gift Basket – everything to make s’mores
- Family Game Night Basket – board games, card games, wooden block games (like Jenga), dice games (like Yahtzee)
- Movie Gift Basket – family-friendly movies, snacks, popcorn, etc.
- Memories Gift Basket – disposable cameras, photo book, some frames, labels
- Chili Feed Basket – chili packet, canned beans, corn bread mix, bowls
There are other ways to donate to this event as well such as preparing decorations or baked goods, give your time at the event by serving dinner, supervising games or coat check, clean-up service, etc. More information is available at http://lighthousehome.org/component/content/article/20-get-involved/191-step-by-step. If you’re able to donate a basket, please delivery it to the church office by Thursday, Dec. 3.